Thursday 14 April 2011

From my kitchen : Red Velvet Cake

Assalamualaikum,

I haven't write here like ages, right! Hukhuk. Sorry for that -.- Few days ago, I was so determined to baking and decided to make red velvet cake - instead of red velvet cupcakes, with cream cheese frosting. I am so not great with baking but I really really wanted to try this cake on my own, for like weeks but didn't manage to find the suitable time due to the busy world of school placement. Dear my lovely readers, I'll share the recipe here and hopefully you guys will try it someday! :)

Ingredients:

parts of the ingredients
CAKE
250g cake flour (or plain flour)
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2tablespoons red colouring
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
240ml buttermilk
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
113g unsalted butter
300g granulated sugar

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1-8 ounce (227g) cream cheese
1-8 ounce (227g) tub Mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
115g icing sugar
240ml double cream

Methods:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F (160 C). Grease and four the baking pan(s). Remove excess flour. (You can use 2 baking pans if you prefer to make 2 layers cake, but I only use 1 pan).


2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. 


3. Put buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla extract and eggs into separate bowl. Whisk them together.


4. In a small bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and red colouring. 


5. In the electric mixer bowl, put butter and sugar together. Mix them with medium speed until the mixture becomes fluffy.

6. Take 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and add them into the electric mixer bowl. Whisk the mixture together.

7. While mixing, slowly add the remaining buttermilk mixture and flour mixture in the bowl in medium high speed.


8. Add colouring mixture and mix for 30 seconds or until well-mixed.

9. Pour into pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (May need more time - do not forget to check your cake after 25 minutes)

the colour came out quite nice :)
10. Let the cake cool before starting to put on the cream cheese frosting. 

Next thing, how to make the cream cheese frosting? It was my very first time trying to make the frosting, and I could say it was not a great success. I mistakenly bought cottage cheese instead of cream cheese. Well, blame me for not knowing what cream cheese a.k.a soft cheese, were even I have used them before. To not let the same thing happen again, I'll definitely buy Philadelphia cheese for my next attempt! :D

Frosting;
1. Beat cream cheese and mascarpone cheese until smooth.
2. Add vanilla extract and icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
3. Add double cream and mix the mixture until it looked 'heavy'.
4. Add more icing sugar or cream as needed.

Then, you can spread the frosting on the cake or in between the 2 layers, if you want. Again, I am totally not an experienced baking chef, so my frosting was not good looking at all. 

It tasted quite nice. My house mate loves it! 

FJ : My cake was hangus sket kt bawah tu, sbb x reti nk control gas-oven. Hukhuk. Selamat mencuba!

If you have enjoyed this entry. Please feel free to bookmark it using your favorite social bookmarking site

2 Responses so far

  • alongxp says:

    cantek kot...nak ckit...hehehe

  • Unknown says:

    haha.. trima kasih la tlg puji..

  • Post a Comment

    Have something to say? ;)