Thursday 10 April 2014

Recipe : red velvet cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting

Assalamualaikum,

The recipe is from chanteksekali bakery owner. An excellent recipe I'd say. This is the 3rd time I'm baking red velvet with this recipe. It tasted marvellous and addicting. Hehe. You'll find the recipe is simple and easy to follow.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups of flour (I used blue key cake flour)
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of salt (ignore if u use salted butter)
1 cup of unsalted butter
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup of sour cream ( I used natural yogurt)
1/2 cup of milk (I used low fat Dutch Lady milk)
1 bottle of red food colouring (I only used 1/2 bottle)
2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (I used vanilla essence)
Vanilla cream cheese frosting for topping



Methods

1. Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C. Sif the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Put aside.

2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl by using electric mixer with medium speed until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.

3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.

4. Mix in the sour cream (yogurt), milk, red colouring and vanilla extract.

5. Beat in the flour mixture with low speed. Do not overbeat.

6. Spoon the mixture in 30 paper-lined cups until it fills 2/3 of the cup.

7. Bake for 20 minutes or until it does not stick to toothpick.

8. Take out from the oven and cool on wirerack.

9. Add the topping on top of it once the cupcakes are fully cooled.





Recipe for vanilla cream cheese frosting;

Beat 1 package (8 oz) of cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, 2 tablespoon of yogurt and 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup of confectioner sugar.

Tips:
1. Always let your butter and cream cheese softened before beat them in a bowl. This is to avoid unfairness of the mixture.

2. You can always modify the sugar amount to suit your sweetness level.

3. If you prefer some sour taste in your topping, I would suggest you to add some lime or lemon zest (or juice) into the cream cheese frosting.

4. Leave me some feedback once you have your own version of red velvet!



FJ: I am totally not good at decorating. This is the best I could present. Well, my hubby said it was good enough for him. I'm over the moon.. :)

posted from Bloggeroid

If you have enjoyed this entry. Please feel free to bookmark it using your favorite social bookmarking site

Post a Comment

Have something to say? ;)